Wednesday, July 9, 2008

GREAT Program: Summer 2008, Session I

Hi Everyone,

This whole week I am working with our DARE Officers in their Summer Youth Program G.R.E.A.T. –Gang Resistance Education and Training.

We are spending the days on Meachem Field off W. Seneca Turnpike doing team building activities with a group of 20 ten to thirteen year olds.

It's been plenty hot but that is not keeping us from enjoying our time together. They are a wonderful group of kids. They have lots of energy and are beginning to come together as a team.

We will continue working at Meachem Field until Friday, when we will spend the day on the Lafayette Ropes Challenge Course. Most of the young people are a little intimidated about climbing onto the high elements but the next couple days of team building and trust activities will prepare them for Friday.

It's quite a switch from a couple of weeks ago working with a corporate group, Allen International. It seems that I just can't make up my mind which groups I like working with more.

When I was with the corporate group I thought how nice it was to be working with a bunch of motivated adults. Now, when I am with these young people I think about the impact we might have on their young developing minds. Building good youth/police relations may help them resist making bad decisions like joining a gang. I guess I am happy to be working with various groups of people.

Motivating people to challenge themselves and make good choices is something I truly love to do.

Feel free to drop by and see how we are doing. Just, make sure to introduce yourself so as not to be a stranger watching from afar.

Have you challenged yourself today?

No comments: