Friday, July 25, 2008

Clarke's Caventure, Part I: Exploring Chimney Mountain

Hello Everyone,

As you may have heard from NorthsideBloggr, I retreated to a cave for a couple of days.

But I was not alone. My daughter, Alyssa, and I joined a group of Syracuse City School Teachers camping out near Indian Lake, climbing Chimney Mountain and exploring Eagle Cave, located below the Chimney near the top of the mountain.

The Chimney

The Chimney.

The weather and the company were absolutely wonderful. I was ready to get away from the hectic schedule I have been keeping. Going to the Adirondacks with my daughter, staying with this fine group of educators, and if that were not enough, NO PHONE SERVICE! Wow! I knew I was in for a great time.

Alyssa and I arrived about an hour and a half before dark on the 15th of July. We were introduced to the group and directed to a spot they set aside for us to pitch our tent. Once our tent was up and our gear unloaded, we joined the others around the campfire.

At that time more formal introductions were made, including sharing information regarding the various schools the teachers worked in and the challenges they each faced. As the night quickly passed some mind teaser activities were thrown in: "This is a bottle cap, this is a bottle cap, is this a bottle cap?" It took some members of the group a long time to figure this little mind teaser out. I won't mention any names. Next thing I knew it was midnight, and Alyssa was indicating she was ready to turn in.

The daylight woke me much earlier than I wanted to crawl out of my sleeping bag. I fought the urge to get up by trying to convince myself it was still early. However, due to the fact that I always carry my cell phone and no longer wear a watch, and after seeing my cell phone had no service, I chose to leave it in the truck. Thus, I really did not know what time it was. So I got up.

First thing I did was put together my coffee pot and head for the campfire. Needless to say, those who were up were happy to see me or, perhaps, happy to see the coffee pot. A time check, by someone smart enough to be wearing a watch, revealed it was only 6:30 am: A little too early for me. I am not a morning person. After a cup of coffee, I returned to the tent to find Alyssa up and preparing for a morning swim. I jumped into my swim trunks and joined Alyssa in a cool, eye-opening dip. Now I truly was ready for those morning people.

We joined the group around the campfire just in time for breakfast. Afterward, we loaded into several cars and headed to the base of Chimney Mountain. Together we began our ascent up the mountain. We made several water stops along the way.

Soon, more eager members of the group wanted to push ahead. I chose to stay behind with Ken "Millerman" Miller, whose assignment was to bring up the rear, and I told my daughter to go on ahead with the teacher she was enjoying talking to.

Millerman and I were accompanying a teacher who had to turn back on a long hike the day before. She was determined to make it to the top today. We slowly, but steadily moved along, taking frequent breaks. When we stopped, I would use my GPS to declare our elevation and the shrinking number of feet we had left to climb. I would estimate that an hour had passed.

I was uncertain if the group ahead had thought we turned around and decided to continue to the cave without us or not. Luckily, I had my BlackBerry in my pack, though I wondered if we were high enough for phone service. I turned it on.

Numerous chirps and beeps emitted from my phone, indicating waiting text and voice messages from the 16 hours my phone was shut off. I immediately dialed Alyssa's number, hoping I could reach the group before they left the chimney to go into the cave. She had just turned her phone on and sounded happy to hear from me.


Hiking near Eagle Cave


A portion of the hiking "trail" near Eagle Cave.

There had been some discussion that we may have turned around with the teacher who could not complete the hike yesterday. But my daughter told the group I would not have turned around unless there was an emergency with one of the members who was behind with me. She then informed the group leader that she was talking with me on the phone, we were all still climbing, and not too far from the top.

Once on top near the Chimney, we had a beautiful view for taking pictures.

View from the Top of Chimney Mountain


View from the top of Chimney Mountain.

A quick PB&J sandwich and some water and we were all hiking down to Eagle Cave. It was more of a bushwhack journey down to the cave than a hiking trail. We were lucky to follow a guide leading another group to the cave because this was a different route from what our leader normally takes.

Bushwhacked


The bushwack journey to the entrance of Eagle Cave.

Within 20 minutes we were at the cave entrance. While the group ahead of us entered the cave, our group put on long pants, shirts, climbing helmets, and headlamps. During this time, storm clouds moved overhead and dumped 15 minutes worth of rain on us.

When I finally got to the mouth of the cave, it was much different than I had imagined. From the descriptions that were given, I envisioned a rock wall with a hole at ground level. I thought I would lie on the ground, squeeze through this small gap and be inside the cave after only 2 or 3 seconds of rock against my face.

Oh no, it was not like that at all.

Did I mention that I am a bit claustrophobic?

(Editor's note: Does Clarke ever get to retreat to his cave? Tune in tomorrow for Part II of Clarke's Caventure.)

No comments: