Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Summer Youth Programs

Alyssa leads youth in a crafting activity at the Northside Community Police Center.

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the blog, but I have been taking part in the volunteer scene at the Police Center for many years now. Many of you may have seen me working around the Center or volunteering at one of the many events my father puts on.

For the readers who do not know me, my name is Alyssa Clarke. Those who read the post back on July 15 (or who notice the last name), may know that I am one of Officer Clarke's daughters. I graduated from Roberts Wesleyan College this past May, and I plan on attending Cortland College for my Master's in Spanish Education.

In the meantime, I am helping my father at the Northside Community Police Center. I am running the Breakfast and Lunch Program for youth 18 and under (for the second year in a row), and working on getting a kids summer program going this year.

In hopes of getting kids interested in reading, I have organized a time for them to come in to the Police Center to read books, do crafts, and play games. Our first day was July 22, so the program is very new. Volunteer support and craft donations would be much appreciated while it's still getting on its feet.

If you know any kids in the area between the ages of 7 and 13, they are welcome to join us. The program runs through August 21 on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays beginning at 2pm.

We are located at 255 Wolf Street, on the corner of Park.

I hope to see some new faces at the Northside!

Your newest blogger,

Alyssa

1 comment:

Spyda said...

hi, i was reading the post about street art and graffiti, i, myself am a recent graduate from occ, and am continuing my education at suny oswego, in fine arts. i started out as a graffiti artist, and would like to teach art/graffiti art to kids in a summer program. i would be more than willing to donate my time to help teach kids the art form and help them learn how to create and be creative. if anyone knows of a summer program that i could volunteer at please feel free to drop me an email @ Rogalazxr@yahoo.com