Thursday, September 11, 2008

Summer 2008 Recap

Hey Folks,

Thought I would bring you up to date on what has been happening.

Our Free Summer Meal Program wrapped up last month. We served 30 breakfasts and 60 lunches Monday-Friday. My daughter Alyssa worked each day serving meals and also working with the children on reading and building crafts.

Our Summer Camping Trip was a great time of fishing, canoeing and campfires. We took more new kids than repeat campers, which made it a little bit more of a challenge. When it is the other way around, the returning campers are a great help to our new campers. When not, it is a lot more work for us adults, answering questions, reinforcing expectations, etc. The kids caught lots and lots of fish. We all had a great time.

Our Picnic with the Police and Fire Departments was a very enjoyable event. This year we added a Bouncy House. The children loved it. The line for the tent was always 20+ children long, and many would get right back in line after they exited.

Around 1,000 people enjoyed free hotdogs, hamburgers, snacks, drinks, snow cones and prizes. It was a busy day for the firefighters, officers and my volunteers.

Several people made comments regarding the amount of food some people were eating. The picnic is not only a special treat to area families, but an important meal to some. Thanks to donors and volunteers, we provided families a day full of food and fun. Thanks to those who supported all of our summer events. Your donations touched the lives of many area children.

A special shout out to:

  • My daughter Alyssa for her work here at the Center during the summer. She is now working on her Masters at Cortland, which means I will have her closer to home to help me with our fall events. Yeah!
  • All my volunteers who took time off work and their already busy schedules to help with our summer events.
Now to bring you up to date: I just returned from a 4-day, Carnival Cruise to Cozumel, Mexico. My mother’s health is not good. Her boyfriend planned the trip for her and other family members months ago, and I was dreading it right up till the day I stepped on the ship. I was a little nervous about getting sea sick and not being able to get off the ride.

I am pleased to say that I did not get sick. We all had a great time. The cruise was way beyond what I imagined - bigger and better than I thought. Price-wise, for meals, lodging, shows, visiting Mexico, etc., a regular trip anywhere would cost much more. So, if you've ever thought about going on a cruise, take my advice and go.

We have some exciting things happening this fall at the Police Center. I'll tell you about some of them in my next post.

Until then, thanks again and stay safe.

Officer Clarke

No comments: